Wood Harvesting & Utilization

    Wood harvesting in Govt. forests in 11 districts of the State is carried out by Production Wing of Haryana Forest Department, whereas in the remaining districts this work is done by Haryana Forest Development Corporation. Annual harvesting of wood from Govt. forests in the State is to the tune of 1.50 lac standing cubic metres. The species harvested are mainly Eucalyptus, Kikar, Shisham, Acacia tortilis, Khair and some Miscellaneous species.

    Green trees are harvested at their rotation age as per the prescriptions of the working plans whereas dead and dry trees are harvested at physical rotation. Almost 40-50% of the felling consist of salvage felling of dead and dry trees.

    Trees are also grown on farm lands under Agro-forestry systems. The farm wood is either felled by the farmers themselves or is purchased by the Haryana Forest Development Corporation at fixed purchase price. The major species grown under Agro-forestry are Eucalyptus and Poplar. After harvesting, the wood harvested from Govt. forests is converted into logs, pulp wood/ boiler size wood and smaller fuel wood and brought to sale depots, wherefrom it is sold through open auctions. Wide publicity is given to auctions through newspapers and departmental website. The annual revenue from sale of forest produce is to the tune of Rs. 40–50 crores.

    During the last decade [2001-02 to 2017-18 (upto Dec. 2017)], the Production Circle has harvested 15.16 lakh cum of standing volume of which 46.77% had been green and remaining 53.23% had been dead dry. Division wise contribution in felling has been 22.21% for Yamunanagar, 22.36% for Hisar, 24.19% for Kurukshetra and remaining 31.24% by Karnal Production division.